I’ve been using MacBook Pro Retina since mid July, and here’s my review on its pros/cons. I used to use several Mac laptops before, namely iBook G4, PowerBook G4 15″, MacBook Pro 15″, and MacBook Pro 13″ as the last one.
- Good to be back in 15″ screen, it’s huge workspace for software development and photo editing. I can read PDF file with 2 pages up side-by-side.
- Thin and light compared to its predecessors such as PowerBook G4 and MacBook Pro 15″ model.
- Super performance thanks to is SSD and 16GB memory. No lagging when working on Aperture or Xcode.
- Beautiful screen is worth to try. Color is rich and black is really black. I had opted for reading on Kindle e-Ink for a while, but I do not mind to read on backlit screen if it’s on retina. It’s that beautiful.
- Premium price to get 15″ retina display + 16GB RAM + 768 SSD. The ticket to the next generation comes with premium as opposed to ordinary laptops.
- Retina compatibility is yet to be fully achieved. While Apple applications are compatible from Day One, other critical applications such as Nick Software’s Silver Efex Pro, Photoshop, etc.. are yet to catch up. It’s just so sad to see non-retina screen now.
- Size/Weight is not an issue for me as I do not bring it around so often, and, hopefully, I will not wear suits/tie after October when I’m leaving bank. It’ll just fit into my Timbuk2 messenger bag!